We don’t do things by halves here at Clairesquares! We’ve taken the traditional pumpkin pie and moved it up a notch with our signature award winning shortbread and a touch of smooth chocolate. This is a chocolate lovers dream pie.
You will need 1 – 9 inch pie dish
3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 can (15 ounces) pumpkin puree
1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground clove
1 9 inch Clairesquares Shortbread pie crust
1 ounce milk chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Pour Clairesquares shortbread into pie dish. Firmly press mixture into bottom and sides of a deep 9 inch pie dish.
- Melt bittersweet chocolate and gently spread chocolate in a thin layer on bottom.
- Make the filling: In a large heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water, melt semisweet chocolate and butter, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Mix pumpkin, milk, brown sugar, eggs, cornstarch, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves in a medium bowl. Whisk 1/3 pumpkin mixture into chocolate mixture. Whisking in remaining pumpkin mixture until completely incorporated.
- Place pie dish on a baking sheet, and pour pumpkin mixture into crust. Bake until center is set but still a bit wobbly, about 55 to 60 minutes. Let cool in pie dish on a wire rack. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 8 hours. Before serving, drizzle melted milk chocolate on top.
Best if chilled overnight. Pecans add a nice touch to this pie filling. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream. Pairs well with a glass of Bailey’s on ice.