Occasionally at Clairesquares we make something savory! It always includes a sweet component. This time we’ve added crunchy Flapjacks to shrimp and paired it with a delicious Thai-styled caramel dipping sauce.
You will need 1 baking tray and a bag of 6″ skewers
1 lb raw shrimp
Zest of 1 lime
1 free range egg
1 bag of Flapjacks
Salt & pepper to taste
1 tblsp oil
1) Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Coat a baking sheet with a generous tablespoon of oil or pan spray. Set aside. Shell and de-vein shrimp. Pat dry and season with salt, pepper and lime zest. Put shrimp onto 6″ skewers, cover and set aside in the refrigerator.
2) Crush the Flapjacks into crumbs. Place in a pie tin or rimmed plate and set aside.
3) Thoroughly beat the egg in a shallow bowl. Use a brush to paint each skewer with the beaten egg, letting any excess drip off. Press the skewer onto the Flapjack crumbs and flip over to coat the other side. Place the skewer directly onto the oiled baking sheet. Repeat until all the skewers are finished.
4) Bake the shrimp skewers for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and flip each skewer over and bake for another 5 minutes or so depending on the size of your shrimp.
5) Serve hot with caramel dipping sauce.
Thai-styled Caramel dipping sauce
2 oz Crunchy styled peanut butter
2 oz coconut milk
Juice of 1 lime
1 1/2 tsp fish sauce or soya sauce
1 1/2 tsp sriracha sauce
1) Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan. Heat on low, stirring constantly until completely smooth. Take care not to overheat or sauce may break.
2) Serve warm or at room temperature with Flapjack Shrimp. Can also be used over stir fried vegetable and noodles.
Recipe can also be used on chicken. Using chicken breasts, cut into 1″ strips and follow in place of shrimp.