A wonderful autumnal treat, pears make a delicious center-piece to a simple cake.
2-3 Asian Pears (peel and slice)
1/2 tub (8 oz) Clairesquares Caramel
3 oz. (86g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 oz. (95g) white sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
4 tbsps. sour cream
1 tsp. vanilla extract
5 oz. (124g) unbleached flour, sifted
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit and grease a 9-inch cake pan. Peel pears and slice thinly, then carefully arrange sliced pears in pan. Melt caramel over gentle heat. Generously spread melted caramel over pears; set aside
2) In a medium bowl beat together butter and sugar until creamy and fluffy. Add in eggs, one at a time, until well mixed. Then add the vanilla and sour cream and mix well.
3) Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt and add to batter. Mix until well combined.
4) Pour the batter evenly over the pears. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden on top and cake tester comes out clean.
5) Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Invert on to a cake plate and let cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
If you don’t have access to Asian pears, then simply substitute your favorite pear or apple in the recipe.
Add more melted caramel to cake once finished and before serving.
Cake can be enjoyed with tea or coffee and a side of whipped caramel cream or vanilla ice cream.