These mini tarts are a scrumptious crowd pleaser and will satisfy even the smallest Thanksgiving sweet tooth.
1 vanilla pod
4.5 oz unsalted butter
3.5 oz powdered sugar
pinch of sea salt
zest of half a lemon
9 oz unbleached flour
2 free range egg yolks
2 tbsp cold milk
3 tart apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
2 heaped tbsp powdered sugar
1) Score vanilla pod and remove seeds; set aside.
2) Using a pastry blender, cream together butter, powdered sugar, and pinch of salt in a medium sized bowl.
3) Rub in vanilla seeds, lemon zest, and egg yolks. You can use your hands to do this or continue using the pastry blender.
4) Once the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs, add the cold milk or water. Pat and gently work the mixture until it comes together and holds the shape of a ball. Lightly flour the dough and roll into a log shape. Be careful not to over work the dough with your hands.
5) Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator to chill for at least one hour.
6) Once dough has rested, cut into 12 equal slices and begin lining the bottom and sides of a muffin tin with 12 shells. Place in the freezer for 20 minutes or until ready to use.
7) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blind bake pastry shells for 10 minutes in oven; set aside to cool till ready to use.
8) Peel, core, and thinly slice apples. In a small bowl mix apples with powdered sugar until well coated.
9) Fill each pastry shell with 2 tablespoons of Clairesquares Caramel. Gently smooth caramel and decoratively place apple slices on top.
10) Bake for 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees.
Add a teaspoon of cinnamon to apples, if you’d like a spicier flavor.
Enjoy apple caramel tartlets with a scoop of fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Sprinkle bottom of pastry shells with chopped pecans and chocolate pieces, fill with caramel, and decoratively place a pecan on top. Sprinkle with powdered sugar once cooled.