Banoffee Pie is the crown jewel of desserts.
Yields 6” pie, serves 6.
8 oz Clairesquares shortbread, crushed to resemble coarse crumbs
2 oz grass-fed Irish butter
8 oz Clairesquares caramel, melted
14 oz whipped cream
1 ripe banana
2 oz milk or dark coarsely grated chocolate
1) Melt butter gently over low heat, add shortbread crumbs and mix together until fully incorporated. Place crumbs back into pie container or a spring-form pan and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2) Place caramel into a heavy bottomed saucepan and melt on low setting, stirring gently until caramel softens.
3) Whip cream to heavy peaks (set aside 8 oz of cream for top decoration). Add 4 oz of the whipped cream into the caramel and whisk until fully incorporated but do not over stir. Pour caramel mixture onto piecrust and spread until smooth.
4) Refrigerate for 4 hours or freeze for 1 hour.
5) Meanwhile chop banana and place evenly over the caramel layer.
6) Finish with whipped cream over the bananas and top with grated chocolate. Leave to set for another 30 minutes before eating.
Serve with tea or coffee.