Banoffee Pie is what we have called the crown jewel of desserts. This time, we’re adding a splash of Bailey’s to truly make this an over the top dessert.
Yields 1 6” pie, serves 6.
8 oz Clairesquares shortbread, crushed to resemble coarse crumbs
2 oz Irish butter
8 oz Clairesquares caramel, softened
14 oz whipped cream
1 large ripe banana
2 oz coarsely grated dark chocolate
2 tablespoons Baileys Irish Cream Liqueur
1) Melt butter gently over low heat, add shortbread crumbs and mix together until fully incorporated. Place crumbs back into pie container or a spring-form pan and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2) Place caramel into a heavy bottomed saucepan and melt on low setting, stirring gently until caramel softens.
3) Mix in Baileys Irish Cream Liqueur while whipping cream to heavy peaks (set aside 8 oz of cream for top decoration). Add 4 oz of the whipped cream into the caramel and whisk until fully incorporated but do not over stir. Pour caramel mixture onto piecrust and spread until smooth.
4) Refrigerate for at least 4 hours or freeze for 1 hour.
5) Chop banana and place evenly over the caramel layer.
6) Finish with whipped cream over the bananas and top with grated chocolate. Leave to set for another 30 minutes in the refrigerator before serving.
Serve with tea, coffee or Bailey’s on ice.
You can also use 3 small tartlet moulds for this recipe as indicated in the photo.